Thursday, November 10, 2011

Like a Rock Star

It's easy to assume that rock stars always live glamourously. That myth is quickly put to rest upon viewing a backstage area or a tour bus. Been there and done that...on the road, they eat the same junk food and drink from the same Solo cups as you and I

During the recording, the making of the albums that earn them the fame and sell the tour tickets, certainly that must be glamourous, right?

Not really. Many studios offer virtual tours. Some are no more glamourous that my community college music building. Others have a wilderness spa-like quality that seems totally incongrous with rock stars. Or is it?

Of the studios I looked at, I was most drawn to Pachyderm, located about half an hour from Minneapolis. Now I'm not really a rocker chick, I'm more of a spa chick (or I will be once this degree begins paying off) and it seems quite serene. The photos show lush, secluded woods, and the studio owns and offers a guest house for artists' use. It's more reminiscent of a lodge than a rock palace.

The studio itself has the same serene, open feel. Large windows give outdoor views and allow natural light to come through and light wood floors and walls give an airy feel to the rooms. You would expect to hear some sort of panpipe music played softly through this space, yet it's a favorite of hard rock groups, most famously Nirvana.

While it doesn't seem very "rock and roll," obviously something about this setting allows the artists to capture some legendary work. Perhaps it's the perception of isolation and the ability to "make all the noise we want", perhaps it's the camp-like feel of the guest house. Whatever it is, it works!

1 comment:

  1. ...I hate to say this, but Nirvana was considered grunge, not really rock. Don't hit me!

    I considered the guest list of Pachyderm Recordings to be more along the lines of folk and country music. Besides Nirvana and Mudvayne, I didn't recognize a single other band that recorded there. Plus a lot of them wore cowboy hats or held folk music instruments.

    ReplyDelete