Thursday, November 10, 2011

New York Times Virtual Tour

Maybe it's because I'm from Kansas, but I've always been fascinated by downtowns and skyscrapers. As a kid, I loved to look up to the top of the Epic Center and imagine looking out the top windows on to the city. Since then, I've stayed in high-rise buildings and always enjoyed leaving the curtains open and waking up with the cities. Something about feeling so small and still while watching the morning bustle felt a little reassuring, and a little voyeuristic (in a good way!)

That said, I'm fascinated with the architecture found in the new New York Times building. Far from isolating the city, it incorporates it. The lobby in particular creates a seamless transition from outdoor to indoor.


From the outside, the windows create sort of a fishbowl that spotlights the activity in the building. It's interesting to see individual people move about under the huge expanse of the tower above.


My very favorite part is the birch garden indoors. I'm a little obsessed with the idea of the outdoors being just steps away from a busy elevator bank and bustling office building. I've always been the type who occasionally liked to step back from an event, hide and observe, and this is the perfect spot.


At night, the effect is like that of a forest, still calming, but radiating an energy.

I've only been to New York City once, but this building is on my list for the next visit!

4 comments:

  1. The architecture of this building is amazing. I like how they made it the main selling point to the virtual tour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED the atrium as well! When I finally get to build my dream house, I think I want an atrium courtyard in the middle of the floor plan.

    Plus, a bit of green amid the cement giants, who doesn't love that contrast?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This building is so unbelievable, and I'm with you, I am fascinated by skyscrapers and big cities. I grew up in Kansas as well so seeing buildings such as this amaze me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pictures are amazing. Love the detail and the lighting of the building. I can see why you love the high buildings but I am afraid of hights so that wouldnt work out. Looking out to the outdoors from this bulding would be awesome. Being that ever thing looks like glass, its still untouchable.

    ReplyDelete